Monday Musings – The Duty of the Moment

(Source of Image)
Catherine Doherty, Servant of God and the Founder of Madonna House Apostolate, was a special soul. The more I learn of her life and read the books she has written, the more intriguing and inviting a spiritual model she becomes.

I enjoy reading Restoration, the monthly newspaper of the Madonna House Apostolate (https://www.madonnahouse.org). You will too.

In order to understand why Catherine urged her associates to always fulfill the duty of the moment (my emphasis) – and why we might want to do so - let me share (with permission) excerpts from three articles that were published in the July-August 2022 issue of Restoration.

According to Theresa Davis, Catherine had this to say: “The only thing anybody should want to be is a saint. The greatest tragedy is not to be a saint...All you have to do is to be madly in love with God. And to do that you have to live the Gospel without compromise. You don’t live the Gospel in a vacuum. Jesus never lived in a vacuum. You live it by doing the duty of the moment. Do little things out of love. Live a life of simplicity.”  Catherine always said “that the duty of the moment will console you. It’s your deepest comfort.” (What Does Madonna House Do?)

Elsewhere in that issue, in Changing the World, Loretta Fritz affirms that “the duty of the moment” which Catherine taught, “basically means do what is in front of you very well for love of God, and through the Mystical Body of Christ, this will change the world. Somewhere. Somehow.”

Let Patrick Stewart complete the discussion: “the most important thing about the duty of the moment is this: the duty of the moment is where we meet Christ. He’s waiting for us in the duty of the moment, in His will for us. Where am I supposed to be now? What am I supposed to be doing now? That’s where Christ is. That’s where He is waiting for me. Not in the chapel. Of course, He’s in the chapel, but if I’m supposed to be chopping wood right now, he’s not in the chapel waiting for me. He’s at the woodpile. If I’m supposed to be cleaning the dorm, that’s where He is waiting for me. Where am I going to meet my Beloved? Wherever I am supposed to be. It’s so simple. And so wonderful.” (From My Sanity Saver.)

Catherine Doherty is a great teacher. There is much wisdom to ponder here and to apply in our daily lives. 

May we all ask our Lord for the grace to complete the duty of each moment of our lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024