Monday Musings - Dying In Peace

On Ash Wednesday we are asked to remember that "we are dust and until dust we shall return."


Lent is a perfect time to reflect on the current condition of our souls and the end of our lives-  if we are to better prepare ourselves to stand before the Throne of Justice when God summons us there.

Let us never forget the horror of so many souls who died during the worse of the COVID restrictions without the benefit of the Last Rites and without their loving family at their bedsides. 

We must also remember that so many in our own families know not what to do spiritually as a loved one approaches the end of life. 

It is for all these reasons, that a Lay Dominican I know asked to share some basic directions that anyone can easily follow as death approaches a loved one. That they be prepared spiritually to help is even more crucial given the fewer number of priests available to be present at death beds. 

This post and the following directive were prompted in large measure after their authors read The Art of Dying (Ars Moriendi), an “immensely popular and influential text of the Middle Ages,” translated with Introduction and Notes by Br. Columba Thomas, O.P., M.D. and a Forward by Mother Agnes Mary Donovan, SV. - a book both highly recommend:


Dying In Peace

To my beloved wife and family:

I love each of year dearly. Each of you have been the treasures of my earthly life. Thank you for the blessing each of you have been to me. It was my privilege to be your husband, Father and Pop Pop. I tried my best – that is all one can do. I thank God that He gave each of you to me. I am sorry that I failed you in so many ways but mostly by my poor example. I know there were too many times where my actions, inaction and words were not consistent with what I professed to believe. Forgive me for failing to fully form you in your Catholic Faith – the most important task God gives a soul.

Please demonstrate your love for me and your forgiveness for all the ways I may have failed each of you, by being sure you honor these wishes and make sure my spiritual (not physical) well-being is priority number one.

Call the priest for Last Sacraments as soon as it appears I am in serious illness. He is more important that a doctor.

Do everything you can to see that I receive the Last Sacraments. Be sure you ask the priest to extend an Apostolic Pardon to me. If no priest is available or you expect a long-delay before one can come, place a crucifix in my hand and you recite aloud in my presence the Apostolic Pardon prayer (see attached).

Our lives here on earth are intended to be a temporary journey towards the eternal life God offers each of us - an undeserved gift which we are free to accept or reject. Suffering is a part of physical death and preparation for eternal life. Any suffering God sends at my last days is for my eternal benefit. I accept that suffering. It is better to suffer for a short time here on this earth than for an extended time in Purgatory. Accept and respect my belief in that Truth.

Recite aloud in my presence, the Nicene Creed, especially if I am in pain.

Recite aloud in my presence, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy as many times as you can.

Recite the Rosary aloud in my presence frequently.

Upon my death, arrange for a Gregorian Series of Masses  for the repose of my soul.

Several times a year have a Mass offered for the repose of my soul.

Please do as I ask. I am totally dependent on your praying for God’s mercy on my soul. 

Finally, please accept God’s ever-present invitation to return to and authentically live out your Catholic Faith. He awaits each of you with open arms. This loving send-off must be followed at the time of your mother’s passing as well.

I will dearly miss you all. I love each of you so very much. 

Though none of us are worthy, may we be blessed to share eternity together in the Presence of Almighty God.

For the Glory of God and the salvation of souls!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 21, 2024