Eucharistic Reflection - Prayer to The Eucharistic Heart of Jesus

I recently rediscovered the beautiful prayer set forth below. A few years ago, I had folded and inserted a copy of it in the back of my book, I Thirst For Your Love.

According to a June 25, 2020 blog posted on Catholicism Pure & Simple, this is an indulgenced prayer associated with the feast of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus instituted by Pope Benedict XV in November of 1921.

This is a prayer we should often recite and one which we should share with all we know and love:

 

Prayer to the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus

Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, gracious companion of our exile, I adore Thee.

Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, lonely Heart, humiliated Heart, abandoned Heart, forgotten Heart, despised Heart, outraged Heart, Heart ignored by men, Heart which loves our own hearts; Heart pleading for our love, Heart so patient in waiting for us, Heart so eager  to listen to our prayers, Heart so anxious for our requests, Heart, unending source of new graces, Heart so silent, yet desiring to speak to souls, Heart, welcome refuge of the hidden life, Heart, teacher of the secrets of union with God, Heart of Him Who sleeps but watches always, Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Jesus Victim, I desire to comfort Thee; I unite myself to Thee; I offer myself in union with Thee.

I regard myself as nothing in Thy Presence. I long to forget myself in order to think only of Thee, to be despised and forgotten for love of Thee. I have no desire to be understood or loved by anyone but Thee.

I will keep silent in order to listen to Thee, and I will abandon myself in order to lose myself in Thee.

Grant that I may thus satisfy Thy thirst for my salvation, Thy burning thirst for my holiness, and that once purified I may give Thee a sincere and pure love. I am anxious not to tire Thee further with waiting: take me, I hand myself over to Thee. I give Thee all my actions, my mind to be enlightened, my heart to be directed, my will to be stabilized, my wretchedness to be relieved, my soul and body to be nourished by Thee.

Eucharistic Heart of my Savior, Whose Blood is the life of my soul, may I myself cease to live and Thou alone live in me. Amen.

(Indulgence 500 days. Brief, February 6, 1899, Leo XIII; Sacred Penitentiary Apostolic, November 8, 1934. Today the 500 days has been replaced by a partial indulgence, which no longer has a specific time associated with the indulgence).

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 21, 2024