Worth Revisiting - But I Do Know!

Thank you Elizabeth Riordan at Theology Is A Verb and Allison Gingras at Reconciled To You for hosting Worth Revisiting each week. It is a privilege to share our work with you and your followers.  

 

Monday Musings - But I Do Know!


[Oh, how so many of us take our Lord for granted by ignoring His Presence here among us. In doing so we offend Him Who is the Source of Love and, at the same time, deprive ourselves needlessly of His love, grace and support. 
 
May the following quotation from Stirring Slumbering Souls - 250 Eucharistic Reflections open our eyes, minds and souls to our neglect]:
 
"I recall the strange and touching story of Saint Alexis. When he was young he left home and then, because God inspired him to do so, came back to the house of his parents in Rome dressed up like a poor and unknown beggar. There he lived in some miserable old corner of the house for seventeen years; and his parents never knew that it was he.

But when he died they found out. It seems he left a note or something telling them what he had done in penance for his sins, because God wanted him to. How that mother wept when she found out that the beggar was her son. She had missed him so much and had so longed to see him. In agony, she cried out: ‘0 Alexis, my son! My son Alexis! Had I only known it was you! How I would have loved you and enjoyed your company! Now, alas! it is too late.’

This is a sad story. But I am afraid that if I do not appreciate my Eucharistic Savior here on earth, where He is hidden away in  the poor  tabernacle, where  He is in my very midst and I do not seem to know Him, the time will come, after my death, when I will cry out, seeing His adorable beauty in the life to come: ‘0 Jesus, if I had only known it was You!  How I would have loved You, Jesus all beautiful!.  How I would have enjoyed Your company! Oh, if I had only known!’

But I do know.

Faith tells me. 
 
And I make so little of it…
(The Way to God - Father Winfrid Herbst S.D.S.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024