Eucharistic Reflection - What Is This? – Be Transformed!
[The following is just one of 175 reflections on the Eucharist that are bound to touch your heart and stir your soul. You will find all of them in Godhead Here in Hiding Whom I Do Adore - Lay Dominicans Reflect on Eucharisitc Adoration.]
"The first time I witnessed people adoring Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, was because I showed up for a novena where there just so happened to be Exposition - Jesus, in the Eucharist on the Altar, in the Monstrance.I did not know what to do or what it was. I found myself asking the question, “What is this?” I was amazed and I knew in my heart it was extraordinary, but I did not know what the monstrance was etc. I asked God to help me to pray and to understand. Later, I realized the real question to ask is “Who is this?” That was a long time ago.
I now attend at least one hour of Eucharistic Adoration weekly and sometimes I ask questions but more often I hear the questions being asked by Jesus left alone on the Altar: “Who do you say that I am?” Will you let Me be your savior? Will you continue in your pride, or will you humble yourself as I do here? Will you come to Me so I will give you rest?” Best of all, sometimes I hear His sweet “I love you” that He whispers to sinners, being echoed in the silence of my heart.
Each time I visit, I ask God for the grace to know how to adore and how to pray before Him in the Blessed Sacrament. No one adored Jesus more than Mary and so I turn to her to help with this. I have learned to accept whatever kind of prayer He wants to give me there. On somedays it is easy to praise Him, petition Him or just sit in silence and on other days it just feels dry as if it were a waste of time. Reading a bit helps on those occasions.
No matter how my time is spent there, whether in spiritual consolation or spiritual desolation, I can say He always grants His graces. If I do not feel this during Adoration, afterward I always see/feel the fruit of being in His presence. Perseverance in prayer before our Lord has taught me that spending an hour in Adoration is Never a waste of time.
If you do not know how to adore Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, ask His mother and the angels to teach you. Bring your Bible and remember you are sitting with the King of Kings, your friend, your brother, your Savior.
Talk to Him. Listen to Him. Praise Him and thank Him. Receive His gaze and His love. Be transformed!
(Mrs. Jeanne Dandrow, O.P. Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati Fraternity,
Independence, KY)
.jpg)
Comments