Pondering Tidbits of Truth - October 1, 2026
Pondering Tidbits of Truth is my simple and inadequate way of providing nuggets of spiritual wisdom for you to chew on from time to time.
Father Richard D. Breton
"The Eucharist...challenges us to ask how we are giving ourselves to others. A Catholic cannot receive the Body of Christ and then refuse to become a gift to his family, his parish, his neighbor or the person who needs mercy. The Eucharist sends us forth. We come to the altar empty. We receive Christ. And we are sent back into the world to bring Christ with us.
This is why Eucharistic devotion cannot end when Mass ends. The Church gives us the beautiful gift of Eucharistic adoration because the Eucharistic Lord remains with us. The tabernacle is not a decorative piece of furniture. It is a place of encounter. Jesus is there, waiting quietly and patiently for us."
(From The Eucharist: When Heaven Comes Down to Earth, published in the September 17, 2026 issue of The Wanderer)
Dorothy Day, Servant of God
"When I became a Catholic, it never occurred to me to question how much freedom I had or how much authority the Church had to limit that freedom…I had reached the point where I wanted to obey…I was tired of following the devices and desires of my own heart, of doing what I wanted to do, what my desires told me I wanted to do, which always seemed to lead me astray."
(From Dorothy Day: Selected
Readings)
St Peter Julian Eymard
"However good and necessary prayer
is, it will weary you, and you will end by neglecting it unless you are
supported in it by Communion."
"…the more one desires to live a pure and holy life, the greater is one’s need and the more urgent the obligation to receive Communion frequently. Such a life calls for more sacrifice, and therefore needs more strength."
"Look upon Communion simply as the source of your sustenance and strength."
"You must receive Communion, not because you are holy, but because you wish to become so."
"Go to Communion because you are weak and overburdened by the labors of the Christian life."
(From How to Get More Out of Holy Communion)

Comments