A Different Kind of Eucharistic Reflection


I love the melody of the Eucharistic Prayer when Father chants it at Mass. On the way to Church last Thursday, I chanted that melody aloud but used words that came to mind and not those in the prayer. I sang from the moment I pulled out of my driveway until I arrived. I praised and worshiped God. It was a blessed time.

I thanked Him for such an undeserved gift and prayed that I might appreciate Holy Communion more today than I have ever had in the past.

As has been my practice as of late, as I approached the altar, I recited the words of a prayer one of my Lay Dominican sisters had shared with me: “MY GOD! If I am to die today, or suddenly at any time, I wish to receive this Communion as my Viaticum..."

After receiving the Sacred Body and Blood, I returned to my pew, thanking God for this most magnificent Gift. I stayed a few minutes after Mass to continue my prayer of gratitude.

I left Church, got into my car, and began the short drive home.

I had driven about a mile, when, without warning, a car raced out of a grocery store parking lot like a torpedo headed directly at me. There was no way we could avoid crashing into each other. I did not even have time to look in the side or rear-view mirrors or to slam on the brakes.

It was like watching a video in slow-motion. I stared blankly toward the other driver. I prayed and awaited the inevitable and inescapable impact.

There was no way in this physical realm in which we live to avoid a collision under these circumstances. None.  And yet…

How can I describe the indescribable?

By Divine intervention, grace and mercy there was no collision. I cannot tell you what happened. Somehow, known only to God and our guardian angels, there was no collision. No one was injured. Neither car was damaged.

I immediately thanked God!

Our loving Lord chose to make today’s Holy Communion a memorable one as I had asked, by sparing me and the other driver from serious injury or death.

No one is worthy of such grace…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - April 18, 2024

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - You Wait for Me