Eucharistic Reflection - There Is No Need To Leave

Lord Jesus, You are in the Holy Eucharist. You are there a yard away in the tabernacle. Your body, Your soul, Your human nature, Your divinity, Your whole being is there in its twofold nature. How close you are my God, my Savior, my Jesus, my Brother, my Spouse, my Beloved.


You were not nearer to the Blessed Virgin during the nine months she carried You in her womb than You are to me when you rest on my tongue at Holy Communion. You were no closer to the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph in the caves at Bethlehem or the house at Nazareth or during the flight into Egypt or at any moment of that divine family life than You are to me at this moment -and so many others – in the tabernacle. St. Mary Magdalene was no closer to You when she sat at your feet at Bethany than I am here at the foot of this altar. You were no nearer to your apostles when You were sitting in the midst of them than You are to me now, my God. How blessed I am.

It is wonderful, my Lord, to be alone in my cell and converse there with you in the silence of the night – and You are there as God, and by Your grace. But to stay in my cell when I could be before the Blessed Sacrament – why, it would be as though Saint Mary Magdalene had left You on your own when You were at Bethany to go and think about You alone in her room! It is a precious and devout thing, O God, to go and kiss the places You made holy during Your life on earth – the stones of Bethany Gethsemane and Calvary, the ground along the Way of Sorrows, the waves of the Sea of Galilee – but to prefer it to Your tabernacle would be to desert the Jesus living beside me, to leave Him alone, going away alone to venerate dead stones in places where He is no longer.  To leave the tabernacle to go and venerate statutes would be to leave the Jesus living at my side to go into another room to greet His portrait.

(Blessed Charles de Foucauld from In The Presence of the Beloved)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Monday Musings - Eucharistic Revival

Eucharistic Reflection - Love Him