Pondering Tidbits of Truth - Through the Words of St. Alphonsus Liguori

 

(Abbey at Genesee, Piffard, NY)
Pondering Tidbits of Truth is my simple and inadequate way of providing nuggets of spiritual wisdom for you to chew on from time to time.

 
This week I am taking a little different approach – combining my love for the Eucharist with my fondness for St. Alphonsus Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church, whose feast day we celebrate today.

 
I will be ever indebted to this great saint whose extensive spiritual writings continue to have an enormous impact on my spiritual journey and growth.

 
Under these circumstances, it just made sense to provide more than the three quotations I generally offer in this column. 
 

From The Mysteries of the Faith: 

 "The principal sorrow which afflicted the heart of Jesus so much was not the sight of the torments and infamy which men were preparing for him, but the sight of their ingratitude towards his immense love. He distinctly foresaw all the sins which we should commit after all his sufferings and such a bitter and ignominious death. He foresaw, especially, the horrible insults which men would offer to his adorable heart, which he has left us in the Most Holy Sacrament as a proof of his affection. O my God, what affronts have not Jesus Christ received from men in this Sacrament of love?

 

From Visits to the Blessed Sacrament and the Blessed Virgin Mary: 

“Of all devotions, that of adoring Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament is the greatest after the sacraments, the one dearest to God and the one most helpful to us.”
 

“What should we do, you sometimes ask, in the presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament? Love him, praise him, thank him and ask him for things. What does a thirsty person do when he sees a pure clean fountain?”

 
“What joy ought not we men to conceive, what hopes and what affections, in knowing that in the midst of our land, in our churches, near our houses, the Holy of holies, the true God, dwells and lives in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar! He who by his presence alone renders the saints in heaven blessed! He who is love itself.”  
 

 

"But I hear You complain, O my Sacramental Jesus: I was a stranger, and you took Me not in (Matt. xxv. 43); that You came on earth to be our guest for our good, and that we have not welcomed You. You are right, Lord, You are right; and I am one of these ungrateful creatures who have left You alone, without even visiting You. Chastise me as You please; but not by depriving me of Your presence, which is the chastisement I deserve. No, I will repair my fault, and the indignities which I have heaped upon You. From this day forward I will not only visit You often, but will remain with You for as long a time as I can."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024