Eucharistic Reflection - Jesus The Beggar


“Jesus loves poverty with a very special love – so much so, indeed, that, because He could not find it in heaven, He came down and sought it here on earth.


He took nothing along with Him from heaven. The tiny bit of glory that He gets on earth is the free gift of the few generous hearts that are trying to show how much they love Him. He is at His lovers’ mercy! Were merely a little wafer of bread denied Him, He could not remain in our midst on earth – He, the Lord of the Universe!...
Jesus begs. I wonder for what? 

He [Jesus] begs for one little word of kindly considerate greeting when I pass by a church… for a short ejaculatory prayer from time to time…for at least one loving aspiration when the bells ring out from the church towers…for a thought, one only thought, when I am alone. A word surely…at least a word I would not even refuse the most despicable criminal. But for Jesus?...Have I a word for Jesus?...How many?

He begs for a little company. For hours and hours he is all, all alone. Oh, what a longing – one that is well-night a necessity – he has for my presence! It would cost me so very little to give Him a few minutes every day; and still, rather than pay him a brief visit, I yawn and try to while away the weary hours. Rather than sit at His blessed feet, I would quite tire myself out in searching after the pleasures of the world and its miserable distractions!”

Jesus begs for a little love.
Contemplate Him, O my soul!...Not far from Him there stands another; also he would have something of you...it is Satan!



(Eucharistic Whisperings, Father Winfrid Herbst, S.D.S.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024