End of The Month Review

I usually take a look at my journal entries at the end of each month to refresh my aging mind as to what insight I might have received from that month's daily Mass readings but may have already forgotten. Never too profound are these simple notes. But sometimes, they do get my attention again. Thought I would share a few.

May 3, 2011
Jesus is the way, the truth, the life. Would others come to know that by observing the way in which I live my life? Do I really know Jesus? That is to say, have I personally encountered this Jesus? Do I have a personal relationship with Him or do I treat Him as my lucky charm on Whom I can call in times of trials to extricate me from pending harm? How often do I talk to Him and His Father? Do I really listen to what they and the Holy Spirit have to say? The proof that I really believe in You Lord, John tells me (Jn 14:6-14), is if I am doing even greater works than You did!  Oh…Oh…Why do I feel like someone just hit me across the head with 2 by 4?


May 11, 2011 and May 13, 2011
Jesus is the Bread of Life (Jn 6:35-40). He gives Himself to us, Body, Blood Soul and Divinity, every time we approach Him at the altar. Many rejected this teaching when He first proclaimed it (Jn 6:52-59). Why do so few today believe He is really and substantially present in the Holy Eucharist? Why are our Catholic Churches not filled every day? Why do we pass up the food of eternal life for that which lasts just briefly before it is discarded as refuse from our bodies?

It is easy to say we believe that Jesus is really, truly and substantially present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist. But do we really believe it? Does the manner in which we live our lives demonstrate to those around us that Christ resides within we tarnished human ciboriums? Has the reception of Communion and Mass attendance become so routine for us that we no longer really treasure and appreciate this great gift? We can chastise our Christian brethren who reject the clear and unambiguous words of Scripture, but is it possible that their unbelief is based, at least in part, because my actions are not always consistent with one who claims he has eaten the Body and Blood of his Lord and Savior?

May 23, 2011
You can’t love God if you don’t keep His commandments (Jn 14:21-26). Seems pretty obvious doesn’t it? Yet, how often do we offer excuses as to why one or another of His rules (or those promulgated by the Magisterium of His Church) doesn’t really apply to us? We can’t pick and choose from those we like and disregard the others with which we disagree or find too difficult to follow. It is really all or nothing. Have you heard that Truth proclaimed recently?

Nothing profound here - just a few kernels to chew on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Monday Musings - Eucharistic Revival