Monday Musings - My Friend, Am I The Reason You Are Walking Away from God?


(Image Source: Wikimedia Commons)
For several months now, at Sunday Mass, I have noticed that a middle-aged gentleman quickly walks out of the Church as soon as the congregation begins to approach the altar to receive Holy Communion. He leaves before anyone who might be inclined to approach or speak to him, is able to do so. I do not know why he will not approach our Lord; there could be countless reasons. Maybe he simply does not believe that it is Jesus he is walking away from.

To date, all I have done is to pray for him.

However, after Mass today, I read an article written by Father Denis Lemieux, entitled “Who Will Be Saved?” This thought-provoking column appeared in the July-August 2018 issue of Restoration, the newspaper published by Madonna House. 

The good Father offers, what I consider, a possible explanation for this man’s reluctance to receive Communion that shook my soul and made it quite clear I must offer this man much more than my prayers.

Here is the relevant excerpt from his article:

“Those of us who do know what the Bread of life truly is, who know at what Table we can receive the very life of God in a fashion that is concrete, physical, touchable, tasteable, literal food and drink that bears God’s innermost being into our innermost being, have a deep responsibility to not merely receive Communion, but to be indeed taught by it.

We have a responsibility to be formed by it and shaped by it so that our lives are truly indistinguishable from His, that the way we live is in fact a perpetual and ongoing Eucharist, love poured out, life given for the world.

I am afraid that so many people never find their way to the sacred Table to receive that most sacred Food because so many of us who do, show so little sign of it in how we live our lives. We eat and drink God – do our lives reflect that fact?”

What kind of sign have you and I been?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Monday Musings - Eucharistic Revival

Eucharistic Reflection - Love Him