Monday Musings - Fra Angelico's Visual Food for Contemplation

(Since the size and composition of my readers have changed over the past year, I thought it would be worthwhile to republish this post.)

Some of us employ words to fuel our contemplation. Others like early Renaissance painter, Fra Angelico (Blessed John of Fiesole 1395-1455), whose feast day we Dominicans celebrate today, used paint brushes to nourish hungry souls.




1- (The Nativity)


2-(The Crucifixion)
3 - (The Christ Crucified)




4- (Lamentation)


His depiction of our Father Dominic in many of these scenes is a reminder of where we should also fruitfully place ourselves during times of meditation and contemplation.

And of course, we need to spend time with our Blessed Mother:


5- (The Madonna and Child)

Fra Angelico pray for us!

(Sources: 1 and 2: Convent of San Marco, Florence; Images 3 and 4:Wikimedia Commons; and Image 5:Staatliche Museen, Berlin)

Comments

  1. I am totally stuck in the 1100s-1400s concerning sacred art. Fra Angelico is one of my favorite painters. One of his Annunciations captures my attention every time I see it. The simplicity of the sacred art of that age transcends this world in my eyes. I'm not well educated in art appreciation, but I know what uplifts me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024