Waking Up Catholic - A Book Review


Although I have an insatiable reading appetite, I have not often ventured into the realm of writing book reviews. When Chad R. Torgerson asked whether or not I would read and write a review of his book, Waking Up Catholic - A Guide toCatholic Beliefs for Converts, Reverts, and Anyone Becoming Catholic, I decided to say “Yes”. 

For unknown technological reasons, I was unable able to get my “free” copy to download properly. So I just purchased the book. I am glad that I did.  

This book fills a real need that Catholics, former Catholics and non-Catholics share - providing basic, clear conversational explanations of some fundamental and often misunderstood Truths of the Catholic Faith.
 
This is a need that has only increased over time. When I read the book’s introduction, I immediately recalled what the late Venerable Fulton J. Sheen once observed “There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church — which is, of course, quite a different thing.” I think the good Archbishop would be pleased with this author’s attempt to address that issue.

This is not a heavy theological tome. It is a starting point. What makes this book so useful is that it is written from the perspective of a man who disagreed with what he thought the Catholic Church taught – issues, for example, like Sacred Tradition, the Eucharist, the Blessed Mother, the communion of saints, the priesthood, and intercessory prayer.  Now with God’s grace he has come to understand and embrace those Truths, and in doing so, has been given a gift to share those Truths with others on spiritual journeys similar to the one he made. I found the details of his voyage to the Catholic Church inspiring. You will too.

Highly recommend this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024