Worth Revisiting - You Are Being Watched

Another Wednesday and another opportunity to thank Allison Gingras and Elizabeth Riordan for their weekly invitation to re-post our favorite posts on Worth Revisiting.


Go there now (and every Wednesday) and let an interesting group of Catholic bloggers nourish you in your Faith journey.

Visit Allison at  Reconciled To You and Elizabeth at Theology Is A Verb during the rest of each week.  You will enjoy your visit. 

I thought I would share one of my more recent posts:


Monday Musings - You Are Being Watched!

(Originally published February 13, 2017)



(Image source: Wikimedia Commons)
Contemporary commentators often report that there is not much difference between the manner in which the majority of Catholics act with respect to such issues, for example, as the active homosexual life style, abortion, cohabitation, contraception, euthanasia, and fetal stem cell research, and how the rest of the non-Catholic population acts.


How tragic! 


Has it been the poor example of Catholics that have led others astray? Or have Catholics simply abandoned their faith in order to fit in? An affirmative answer to either of these questions is a damning admission.


Alas, we have forgotten who we are, whom we are called to be,  how we are to live our lives, and where we are going.

May these words of Father Winfrid Herbst, S.D.S. stir us to be “every inch a Catholic”. The salvation of our souls and the souls of all those with whom we interact hinges in our doing so:



“In the Gospel it is said of Jesus that ‘they watched Him.’ Now, I am a follower of Christ; and I may be sure that the more Christ-like I am, the more nearly I imitate the Savior, the more closely am I watched by those around me. 


My superiors and those of my household watch me. When I go out into the world all those with whom I come in contact watch me. Catholics watch me. Non-Catholics  watch me still more when they know that I am a Catholic, in order to see how a Catholic behaves, whether he really lives up to the holy teachings of his Church, whether he practices what he preaches, so to speak. 


My guardian angel watches me right along; he never for a moment takes from me his eyes, so full of concern for my welfare. Neither does the devil let me out of sight for a minute. But, above all, God's all-seeing eye watches me. 


I must play my part well; I am being watched. I am a Catholic and I must be every inch a Catholic, loyal to my God, to my Church."

(From The Way to God)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - February 22, 2024

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024