Book Review - Is Centering Prayer Catholic?



When I returned to the Catholic Church, I was hungry to really learn and live my Faith. Naturally, I turned to those who had welcomed me back for guidance, never suspecting for a second that those I approached would ever (intentionally or unintentionally) steer me anywhere but to the Truth. 

I read and devoured everything they put before me, including suggestions that I turn to “centering prayer”.  At the time, my prayer life was rather simple. I relied heavily on the words others created and was in no position to compare the efficacy and/or validity of centering prayer to other forms of prayer.

Initially, I enjoyed this new way of praying. But as I matured in my Faith, I abandoned it. It did not seem “right” although I was still too spiritually immature to articulate why I felt that way.

It would have been helpful to me during that part of my spiritual journey had “Is Centering Prayer Catholic?” existed. Connie Rossini has done a great service to the Church and the souls of its members by objectively and professionally comparing “centering prayer” and what its proponents have said about it to what the Catechism of the Catholic Church and some of its great spiritual guides, such as St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross, actually teach about prayer.

The book is well-written, clear, informative, instructive and a must read for anyone seeking a more fruitful prayer life.  I highly recommend you read (and re-read) this outstanding book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024