Blessed Henry Suso, O.P. and The Eucharist

Today we remember Blessed Henry Suso, O.P. (1290-1365) a German Dominican priest, mystic and spiritual writer.

Some suggest that it is difficult to separate fact from fiction when discussing  this gifted Friar. He had as many critics as he did followers. There is a brief but interesting account of his life in Sister Mary Jean Dorcy, O.P.'s classic St. Dominic's Family - Lives of over 300 Famous Dominicans. You can also get a glimpse into his life and writings at New Advent.

His best known work, A Little Book of Eternal Wisdom, is one well worth reading and pondering. Here is a Eucharistic prayer from that book for your use and reflection:

A Prayer To Be Said When  Thou Goest To Receive Our Lord





(Image Source:Willing Shepherds.org)
O Thou living fruit, Thou sweet blossom, Thou delicious paradise apple of the
blooming fatherly heart, Thou sweet vine of Cyprus in the vineyard of Engaddi,
who will give me to receive Thee so worthily this day that Thou shalt desire
to come to me, to dwell with me, and never to separate from me! 






O
unfathomable good, that fillest heaven and earth, incline Thyself graciously
this day, and despise not Thy poor creature. Lord, if I am not worthy of
Thee, yet do I stand in need of Thee. Ah, gentle Lord, art Thou not He who
with one word created heaven and earth? Lord, with one word canst Thou
restore health to my sick soul? O Lord, do unto me according to Thy grace,
according to Thy infinite mercy, and not according to my deserts. Yes, Thou
art the innocent Paschal Lamb, which at this day is still offered up for the
sins of all mankind. 




Ah,
Thou sweet-tasting bread of heaven, which contains all sweet tastes according
to the desire of everyone's heart, make the hungry mouth of my soul to
rejoice in Thee this day; give me to eat and to drink; strengthen, adorn, and
unite me interiorly to Thee. 




Ah,
Eternal Wisdom, come down so powerfully this day into my soul, that all my
enemies may be driven out of her, all my crimes be melted away, and all my
sins be forgiven. Enlighten my understanding with the light of true faith.
Inflame my will with Thy sweet love. Cheer up my mind with Thy glad presence,
and give virtue and perfection to all my powers. Watch over me at my death,
that I may enjoy Thy beatific vision in eternal bliss. Amen


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024