It's Worth Revisiting Wednesday - Good Night Lord - Thank You For My Life and My Dominican Vocation

Thanks to the generosity and encouragement of Allison Gingras and Elizabeth Riordan, an ever-expanding group of Catholic bloggers take the time each week to re-post their favorite articles on “It’s Worth Revisiting” Wednesdays.

Do yourself a favor: go there now (and every Wednesday) and let these authors bless and challenge you in your Faith journey.


During the rest of each week. visit Allison at  Reconciled To You and Elizabeth at Theology Is A Verb.  You will be pleased with what they share.

I hope you find something of value in what follows:

Good Night Lord: Thank You For My Life and My Dominican Vocation

(Originally posted:  April 25, 2011)

(Image source: Wikimedia Commons)
There are two reasons why I may have some difficulty falling asleep tonight.

On my way to Mass this morning at a Church near where my son and his wife live, I was awestruck by a life size portrait of Our Risen Lord that was on display immediately in front of the Church's main entrance.  It was the most astonishing portrait that I had ever seen. I could not keep my eyes off of it. While gazing at it, I began to make a left hand turn down a side street and to a nearby parking area.  So distracted were my mind and eyes that I turned directly into the path of an on-coming vehicle.

I never would have seen that vehicle had my guardian angel not prompted me to look up and cause me to sharply veer to my right as the other more attentive and skillful driver veered to his right as well. Only by God's grace and Divine will did the two of us escape serious injury or even death. Only my loving Lord  knows why He spared us this morning - just another stark reminder that none of us are promised a tomorrow and that all of us must be ever ready to stand before His thrown of justice.

After saying Evening Prayer this evening, I received another "prompting." This one was to look at the most recent posting at Creative Minority Report - a powerful vocation video prepared by the Dominican Friars of the Eastern Province of St. Joseph. You can view it here.

This brief glance into the Dominican Order reminded me how blessed I am to be a Lay Dominican in that Province and how blessed our Province is to have so many men who deeply love God, His Catholic Church, the Eucharist, the priesthood, and preaching. These are men whose zeal for the salvation of souls mirrors that of their Father St. Dominic.

As this day draws to an end, I head for bed with a greater appreciation for God's mercy, for my vocation as a Lay Dominican, and for the Dominican priests who have challenged and enriched my life.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024

Good Friday Reflection