We Have Forgotten The Impact of Our Example



In his 1954 book, God, A Woman and The Way, Rev. M. Raymond, O.C.S.O. warned us that we had forgotten the purpose of our lives and much of what it means to be Catholic. He powerfully illustrated his point with this poignant tale:

"We have forgotten that there is eloquence in the silent simplicity of doing one's ordinary duty. We have forgotten that there is power and terrific impact in example. 

(Image Source: Wikimedia Commons)
A child of six was about to undergo a tonsilectomy. The surgeon, a fallen away Catholic, to ease all tension, playfully and paternally told the little girl that he was going to help her go to sleep for a while. Whereupon the child knelt on the operating table saying: "If I'm going to sleep. I must first say my night prayers."

In all simplicity and with the full charm of innocent childhood she folded her hands and said what you and I have said again and again in our youth.
  
‘Now I lay me down to sleep;   To God I give my soul to keep. And if I die before I wake, To God I give my soul to take.’

That night a fallen away surgeon came back to Christ."






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Friday Reflection

Eucharistic Reflection - To Have The Right Intention

Pondering Tidbits of Truth - March 7, 2024